Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Batman and the Peacock

Halloween is always fun and exciting around here.  I even took a vacation day from work to make sure I had the night off.  Wednesday is my Monday, so it worked out better to just take the night off.  At the end of September, I started asking Miles what he wanted to be for Halloween and started scouring Pinterest for ideas for Isla's costume. 
 
Miles said he wanted to be Batman...but none of the Batman costumes he owned would work.  He wanted a new Bat Suit.  I wasn't very keen on making one for him, since he has so many already, but I found this tutorial through Pinterest and thought maybe I'd give it a try.  Then we were at Goodwill to find a nightstand for Isla's play kitchen and it was filled with Halloween costumes.  I told Miles he could pick one out...and he picked out a one piece Batman suit.  It was cheap-looking and had the fake muscles (ick!), but he liked it and it was $3, so I said ok.  When he was wearing it a few days later, I noticed a hole in the leg...accompanying the hole was an iron burn mark (melt mark, actually), so I told him he couldn't wear it out of the house.
 
That transpired into me making him a new Bat suit...a one piece suit with a zipper up the back.  I used the tutorial above and modified it to attach the top and bottom and add a zipper up the back...my first jumpsuit!  I made it out of fleece (Miles picked the fabrics) so it would be warm, and made the "tackles" like the Bat Suit from Goodwill.  He was a happy Batman!
 
As I said, I scoured Pinterest to find an idea for Isla.  She really liked some of the tutus she'd seen in the stores, so I knew I wanted her costume to involve a tutu.  I thought about going with Minnie Mouse or a Disney Princess.  However, I shied away from either of these ideas knowing that someday she will ask to be a princess or Minnie Mouse.  I have a feeling there may be many Halloweens of this.  So, I wanted something different. 
 
And then I found it...a Peacock!  It was perfect and so cute.  DIY and pretty simple.  Ben loves peacocks and Miles was a peacock for his first Halloween.
 

 
I saw this picture, and thought I could replicate it.  Then the search was on for a shirt.  I looked around on-line, but couldn't find anything in the stores when I went.  Then I tried babyGap and found the perfect shirt.  Paired with brown leggings, her tutu, brown boots, and a hair clip...the costume came together.
 
Here is my Batman and the Peacock!
 
This tree has been our posing spot lately.
 
And because the peacock has to be just like her big brother... 
 
Here's the back of the tutu.  There are two feathers hiding underneath... 
She was running, so it was hard to get a good picture of her.  There was a matching "feather" and some tulle on a hair clip that she refused to wear.  It really pulled the whole costume together and made it more obvious that she was a peacock.  Oh, well. :).
 
Long story short, we tired to buy a car on Halloween, and it didn't work out.  It took forever!  Ugh.  I hate buying cars.  Anyhow, the kids were at my parents house handing out candy and waiting for us to pick them up.  We got there around 7pm.  We hit about 5 houses in my parents' neighborhood before heading downtown to River Park Square.  The kids ran around.  I was a little bummed because we got there at 8:30 and they close at 9.  A lot of the stores were out of candy by then and it was pretty dead.  However, the kids didn't seem to notice or mind.  They filled their buckets...just the right amount of candy, and Miles said it was the best Halloween ever!


I loved watching her walk around.  The tutu kind of bounced with her waddle...or toddle :).

They had glow sticks for when we were outside.

They got balloons at Nordstrom.  When we got to the fancy computer store, which was empty, Ben wanted a new case for his newish iPod and the kids ran around practicing their "combat" moves :).

We left around 9pm and both kids, especially Isla, were sooo tired! 
 
At the end of the day, the kids had a great Halloween, I loved their costumes (so did they), and we only had a little bit of candy.


No comments:

Post a Comment