Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Almost Finished!

And I'm soooooo excited.  I feel like I haven't decorated a room in a while.  It is nice to have this project almost under my belt!  There are a few details left, like curtains (fabric is on it's way, then I need to sew), art (prints I'm creating and should get next week), and a bench for the reading nook.

Originally, I was going to do an "Oh, the Places You'll Go" theme.  Well, that changed a tad.  No strips on the wall, no quotes (though I am going to use one or two from the book anyhow).  I saw this fabric online and fell in love. 


I took the colors and ran with them.  I chose the light blue for the walls, and the others for accents.  I'm loving how it turned out!  My mom came over on Monday to help me paint.  It was sooo nice.  She did al the brush work, which I hate!  Thanks Mom!

This is the view from the doorway (obviously missing art in that frame!).

The storage cubes are ClosetMaid cabinets bought at Target, the bins are also ClosetMaid purchased at Target and Lowes.  I hand painted the "mural" on the wall.  Miles requested a rainbow, so that is for him, though I'm not totally sure about it. 
The orange cabinet was originally in the closet and was an oak veneer.  I sanded, painted and got new hardware.  You can see some of the wood through the paint, so it looks a bit distressed :).

Each bin has a different kind of toy.  Cars, tools, animals, random toys, balls, Little People, etc.


I saw this little bird at Michael's for $3 and had to buy it.  Too cute!

The bins are labeled with tags as to what is in each bin.  I bought little wood cut-outs from Michael's and painted them with chalk board paint, drilled a small hole, and ran ribbon through them.  The bins can change as the kids grow.  Sorry about the poor handwriting.  We only have large chalk, so it was hard to write on the small tags!



Next is the reading nook!  I'm pretty excited about this space and my future plans for it :).

I bought the letters at Michael's, then used Mod Podge to apply scrapbook paper to them.  I love how it turned out!

I took down the closet doors and hung a curtain with a tension rod.  I also painted the inside of the closet...it was soooo gross!

Up above, there is storage for board games and toys that aren't played with every day (puzzles, etc).

Down below are some of Isla's toys, a bean bag chair, and the books on the right.  I plan to install a bench where the bean bag chair is, with lots of fluffy pillows!  My dad is going to help :).  It will really complete the space.  I also have two little battery operated push lights to put on the wall once the bench is in place.

This is the art corner.  The desk is mainly empty at this point.  I am planning to put most of my collectible dolls on the shelves of the hutch.  Art supplies will go in the drawers.

I hung a ribbon on the wall using two little 3M hooks then hung some recent work of Miles' using clothes pins I painted or covered with scrapbook paper.

This is the dress-up corner.  Miles loves to dress up!  I hope to add some princess dresses and high heels to this collection someday!

This is their activity table that I helped my Dad build for Miles when I was pregnant with Isla.  It has a great home here.

Under the table are two crates.  The one on the right has trains, tracks, etc.  The one on the left has blocks and some angry birds (Miles builds his own angry bird set-ups!).  Obviously there is also a CAT dump truck under there:).

So, there you have it.  An almost finished play room!  Miles hasn't seen it since I moved his toys in, but what he has seen, he says, "It looks amaaazing, Mommy", which melts my heart to hear!


2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I agree with Miles, it does look amaaaazing!! You've inspired me to paint our playroom too :) great job Carrie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome! Seriously amazing! You did such a good job! And I love the idea of hanging things on the different baskets marking what goes in them! And that with chalkboard paint you can easily update them! I love it! When you're all done with yours you can come do ours, now that I've seen how good yours looks I feel like ours needs an overhaul but I am not nearly creative enough! :)

    ReplyDelete